Religious Exploration Ministry
The Religious Exploration Ministry works closely with the Director of Religious Exploration to provide a well-rounded Unitarian Universalist program of faith development for children, youth and adults. The Religious Exploration program teaches and encourages all participants to:
- Develop a positive self-image, and respect and appreciate the uniqueness of others.
- Become knowledgeable about Unitarian Universalism and to seek wisdom from the many sources of our living tradition, including Humanist beliefs, earth-centered teachings, world religions, and our Judeo-Christian heritage.
- Clarify individual and communal values to help them all make courageous and ethical choices throughout their lives, and to put these values into action.
- Identify themselves as members of an active, caring, justice-seeking, and religious Unitarian Universalist community.
- Explore and develop their own spirituality through individual growth and in fellowship with others.
The success of the Ministry relies upon a large number of program teachers, leaders, facilitators, and assistants.
The Religious Exploration Ministry meets monthly. Meeting dates will be posted on the church calendar.
Ministry members 2013-2014
Kathy Thackeray (2), Chair
Jasmine Walston (3), Adult RE Coordinator
Rhonda Green Barron (2)
Lois Allen (1)
Lisa Mascio Thompson (1)
Linette Lowe, Director of Religious Exploration
Communication with congregation
- A column appears monthly in Steepletalk, the church newsletter, with upcoming programming and news about the Ministry.
- Email updates are regularly sent to parents or guardians listed on registration forms, and informational handouts are occasionally sent home with children.
- A listing of upcoming adult programming is announced in the Celebration of Life order of service.
- Curriculum offerings are posting on the website on the Religious Exploration pages.
- Contact the Religious Exploration Ministry at religiouseducationministry [at] firstulou.org (subject: Religous%20Exploration)
Structure of the ministry:
The Religious Exploration Ministry covers these basic areas.
Children and Youth Religious Exploration
Sunday Morning classes – Director of Religious Exploration and classroom teachers/leaders
Additional Programming for Children and Youth
Youth Groups – Youth Adult Committee (see below)
Coming of Age – Director of Religions Exploration and mentors
Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education – Carol Uebelhoer and teachers/leaders
Adult Religious Exploration
Sunday Morning Classes – Adult RE Planning Team, and program leaders
Additional programming as opportunity arises
Fifth Sunday Multigenerational Project – Director of Religious Exploration in cooperation with Mission & Outreach Ministry
Youth Adult Committee
The Youth Adult Committee (YAC) is comprised of youth advisors, at-large members of the congregation, and all middle and high school youth group members who choose to attend the YAC meetings. Adult members are appointed by the Religious Exploration Ministry.
Working in consultation with the Director of Religious Exploration, YAC supports the Youth groups and gives youth a voice in policy-making. All requests for youth group special activities must come before the monthly YAC meeting.
If you are interested in serving on this ministry or one of its teams, contact Linette Lowe, Director of Religious Exploration, Kathy Thackeray, Religious Exploration Ministry Chair, or Jasmine Walston, Adult RE Coordinator.